The US Government mandates a set of restrictions on air travel due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Southwest Airlines® is aware of those restrictions. However, some of those restrictions result in flight cancellations, quarantines, or COVID-19 testing on arrival or temperature checks after landing at the destination airport. The air authority notifies the passengers of those restrictions without causing any trouble to them. However, some of those restrictions are related to pet travel. We, throughout this post, will discuss those policies today.
Southwest Airlines COVID-19 Pet Policy
The animals that are subjected to emotional support and trained service are permitted to fly on Southwest flights. A pet owner is subjected to follow a certain set of safety parameters defined by the government. He/she is also supposed to follow governmental laws and regulations related to health certificates, permission, and vaccinations required by the destination state or country. Southwest encourages the passengers to contact the appropriate consulate, embassy, or other governmental authority to know their pets' safety parameters.
Policies For in-cabin Petsin Southwest Airlines
If you are carrying any pet through this airline, you are suggested to get an official Southwest Airlines branded pet carrier just at $58, including all taxes. You can get it at any ticket counter serving the Southwest passengers, also availed online as well. The dimension of an official pet career is 17 x 9.5 x 10 linear inches. Nevertheless, the pet carriers are non-refundable.
If you are not getting the official pet carrier, you should carry a career within 18.5 x 8.5 x 13.5 linear inches. Your pet has to be small enough to fit under the seat in front of you. As per Southwest Airlines pet policy, a career more that is than this dimension will not be accepted by the air authority. It has to be leak-proof and properly ventilated. Soft-sided and hard-sided Airlines specifically used to be designed as pet carriers are acceptable.
Pet Travel Restrictions in Southwest Airlines
- Pets, i.e., cats and dogs, must be at least 2 months old to travel to any domestic destination.
- You cannot send any of your cat or dog alone; Southwest does not accept pets to travel without its owner. Unaccompanied Minors are also not allowed to travel with a pet.
- Southwest only carries in-cabin pets; pets are not permitted as checked baggage.
- Pets are not allowed to travel on any international flight or any ticket that includes an international flight.
- A pet-carrying passenger should not occupy an exit seat or row with no forward under-seat storage.
- Scheduled pet carriers are allowed per scheduled flight. However, there are circumstances when the air authority allows more or less than six pet carriers per scheduled flight.
- The animals (cats and dogs) must be harmless, odorless, and require no attention while traveling.
Pet Fare in Southwest Airlines
A pet traveling at this airline is subjected to a pet fare of $95 for each side. Pet reservations are not subjected to refund. So, in the case of any cancellation from your side by the air authority, you are suggested to contact the air authority or visit the airport ticket counter. Please keep in mind that the Pet Fare under Southwest Airlines pet policy is subjected to change as per the air regulations.